We know how busy families are. Parents work 40+ hours a week. Kids are scheduled in multiple activities, sports games, and tournaments and then there is school work and school schedules. Parents have a hard time getting their paid time off to coordinate with kids’ school and activity schedules. With Schools Spring Break coming up in February-April, we thought we would give you an few ideas of things to do on Spring Break in the greater Grand Rapids, MN area.
Family-Friendly Outdoor Adventures
We have heard of many reasons why people should spend time outdoors, one of them being a natural cure for stress. There is something very special that happens when you allow yourself to just be in nature. Un-tap you and the kids from their phones and other electronic devices to get out on our snow trails. Some activities to try are, and trails and locations to consider:
- Snowshoeing– Ardent Bicycles has snowshoes to rent. Check out our Snowshoeing resource pages for information on all of the snowshoe trails in the greater Grand Rapids area.
- Snowmobiling – Grand Rapids has over 1000 miles of groomed snowmobile trails. If you do not have your own snowmobiles. No worries, R&R rents snowmobiles. You can snowmobile right from some of our lodging properties!! See the 2021-2022 snowmobile map by clicking HERE!
- Fat Tire Biking – Tioga Recreation is just a few minutes away from downtown Grand Rapids. Enjoy 25+ miles of groomed fat tire bike trails and after enjoy local bike-friendly breweries. There is almost always live music at Rapids Brewing Co.
- Ice Fishing – The Grand Rapids area has over 1,000 lakes to catch fish on in the winter. If you do not have your own fishing gear, don’t worry, we have professional fishing guides that have all of the equipment, ice fish houses, and know where the fish are biting so you can catch fish. Check out our Ice Fishing resource page for more information.
- Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snowtubing – Mt Itasca is a winter recreation area that is located 5 miles east of downtown Grand Rapids in Coleraine. Here you can enjoy downhill skiing, snowboarding, and snow tubing. For more information check out our Skiing and Sledding resource page.
Family Time Indoor
- Itasca Historical Society- Try to solve the mystery of Grandpa’s Workroom at the Itasca Historical Society Escape Room. You have one hour to follow the clues and escape. After, talk a stroll around the museum exhibits and learn a little about the Itasca area, the Mississippi River and so much more.
- Judy Garland & Children’s Museum- The Children’s Museum now has extended hours! Don’t forget to ask about getting passes for both museums. One side is perfect for kids 12 and under and the other side tells the story of Judy Garland. Get a guided tour on Saturday by calling the museum.
- Manns Cinema 8 Theater- There are great movies currently out. Enjoy a family night after a fun day. Unwined with popcorn and a movie.
- Thunder Alley XL- Who doesn’t love bowling? Thunder Alley XL has neon bowling, bumpers for young kids, an arcade, and a bar. Call to reserve a lane and learn about their bowling specials.
- The Reif- There are some unique upcoming performances and musicians coming to the Reif. Check out their website for a full list of events and to book tickets.
There are many lodging options for you to come together as a family. You will find conveniently located Hotels and Motels that offer a wide variety of onsite amenities such as pools, hot tubs, and a water slide! We also have one charming Bed and Breakfast located on Pokegama Lake. In winter is always a great option to cozy up at a Resort or Vacation Rental with the unique amenities of staying up north. Spring Break is just around the corner. Book your trip and enjoy family time reconnecting in Minnesota’s nature.