Grand Rapids & Biking: Match Made in Heaven
Northern MN is known for our gorgeous summer, vibrant fall, rejuvenating spring and icy winters. From mountain biking to fat tire biking, there isn’t a season you can’t find a two-wheeled adventure!
The Monster Truck of Mountain Bikes
Made for Minnesota’s winter, fat tire bikes have a rubber surface twice as wide as standard mountain bikes and a much lower, “squishy” tire pressure. This increased surface area allows better traction and keeps riders from sinking into the snow, mud or sand.
They are a great way for riders of all ages and experience levels to get outside and into nature. From easy riding and sight-seeing to more adventurous mountain biking- fat tire bikes let you explore Northern MN in all terrains and trail conditions.
Northern Minnesota Bike Trails
Beautiful trails are available for the public in the Grand Rapids area. Some of our favorite warm-weather biking trails include:
- Legion Bike Trails Map
- Forest History Center – stay on designated biking trail
- Joyce Estates
- Suomi – stay off of cross country ski trail
- Legion Trail – stay on the designated biking trail
- Mt. Itasca
- Mesabi Trail
Best winter trails for fat tire biking:
- Forest History Center
- Legion Trail – stay on designated biking trail
- Mt. Itasca
- COMING SOON – Tioga Recreation Area. Grand Opening FALL 2019! This will be a 30-mile single track trail where you can bike and snowshoe.
Biking Community in Grand Rapids, MN
- GRIMBA (Grand Rapids and Itasca Mountain Bicycling Association) has countless opportunities to volunteer for or participate in projects, social rides, trail improvements, and events.
- Get Fit Itasca offers mountain biking day trips, community events, fitness education, and fun, themed rides throughout northern MN.
- Itasca Trail Sports is the go-to fat tire bike outfitter. They sell “Made in MN” fat tire bikes and accessories for the Grand Rapids, MN area.
Check out our video showcasing some of the benefits fat tire biking in Northern MN: