Grand Rapids & Biking: Match Made in Heaven
Northern MN is known for our gorgeous summer, vibrant fall, rejuvenating spring and icy winters. From mountain biking to fat tire biking, there isn’t a season you can’t find a two-wheeled adventure!
The Monster Truck of Mountain Bikes – Fat Tire Bicycles
Made for Minnesota’s winter, fat tire bikes have a rubber surface twice as wide as standard mountain bikes and a much lower, “squishy” tire pressure. This increased surface area allows better traction and keeps riders from sinking into the snow, mud or sand.
They are a great way for riders of all ages and experience levels to get outside and into nature. From easy riding and sight-seeing to more adventurous mountain biking- fat tire bikes let you explore Northern MN in all terrains and trail conditions.
Northern Minnesota Bike Trails
Beautiful trails are available for the public in the Grand Rapids area. Some of our favorite warm-weather biking trails include:
- Legion Bike Trails Map
- Forest History Center – stay on designated biking trail
- Joyce Estates
- Suomi – stay off of cross country ski trail
- Legion Trail – stay on the designated biking trail
- Mt. Itasca
- Mesabi Trail
Best winter trails for fat tire biking:
- Forest History Center
- Legion Trail – stay on designated biking trail
- Mt. Itasca
- Tioga Recreation Area. Construction on a 30-mile single track trail mountain bike trail is happening 2018 and 2019. OPEN Currently is Iron Maidenhair, a .5 mile which is a blue jump line (intermediate level) and a green flow (entry level) that weaves through the jump line. The trail is marked and accessible from the Tioga Boat Landing overflow parking lot that is located by the Tioga Mine Pit. Stay on the designated trail and if conditions are too wet, please refrain from riding. The expected open for the completed 30 miles is late Fall 2019 with a grand opening being held in Spring of 2020.
Biking Community in Grand Rapids, MN
- GRIMBA (Grand Rapids and Itasca Mountain Bicycling Association) has countless opportunities to volunteer for or participate in projects, social rides, trail improvements, and events.
- Get Fit Itasca offers mountain biking day trips, community events, fitness education, and fun, themed rides throughout northern MN.
- Itasca Trail Sports is the go-to fat tire bike outfitter. They sell “Made in MN” fat tire bikes and accessories for the Grand Rapids, MN area.
Check out our video showcasing some of the benefits fat tire biking in Northern MN: