Head North For A Great Minnesota Fall Trip
Fall is a beautiful time to head north to Grand Rapids, Minnesota for a Fall Weekend Getaway. Grand Rapids is a convenient drive destination that provides a far enough away location to provide a real escape. This up north charming community has mixed forests that produce stunning fall colors. We have created for you a sample weekend fall getaway itinerary to give you some ideas of things to do and see.
Check out this sample Grand Rapids Fall Weekend Itinerary:
Day 1 – Friday
- Check In – at one of our cozy fall lodging options
- Get Pampered – Check out one of our local salon and spas for a facial, massage, panicure or manicure. We suggest True North Salon, Bala Spa, Salon Brad, or Elements Spa.
- Get Outdoors – With over 2,000 miles of maintained trails, you can select what level of outdoor adventure fits you. For hiking we suggest Suomi Hills or Simpson Creek in the Chippewa National Forest. Maybe a little bit more excitement is what you are looking for. Consider biking on our NEW world class mountain bike trail Tioga Recreation Area (currently 23 miles of completed trails). We also have 300 miles of wooded and forest roads ATV/OHV Trails to ride.
- Taste Craft Brews & Minnesota Wines – Enjoy a craft beer at one of our two new craft breweries: Klockow Brewing Company and Rapids Brewing Company. Experience Minnesota wines at Unwined Up North.
- Be Entertained – Enjoy a Broadway style performance at The Reif Center. They have over 40 shows in this seasons performance. Find out why they call this the hidden gem of Minnesota’s northwoods.
Day 2 – Saturday
- Rise & Shine– We suggest Brewed Awakenings or NoPo Coffee for a great cup of coffee and a fresh baked muffin to start your day!
- History Tour – Discover a historic environmental learning center called the Forest History Center where costumed interpreters reenact what time would have been like in a 1900’s logging camp.
- Learn & Enjoy Art – Tour the FREE Itasca County Historical Museum to learn about all of the fascinating culture and heritage of the Grand Rapids MN area. Take a self-guided tour of the Grand Rapids public art. MacRostie Art Center has a FREE art gallery where you can view monthly exhibits and purchase Minnesota art.
- Fall Scenic Drive – finish the day by taking a scenic drive up the Edge of the Wilderness Scenic Byway. Enjoy stunning fall colors of the hardwood and pine trees in the Chippewa National Forest, and stop at the shops and restaurants along the way.
Day 3 – Sunday
- Sleep In – Sunday’s are fun days, and one’s where you can allow yourself to not be woke up by an alarm clock.
- Enjoy Brunch – In Grand Rapids, MN there are several restaurants that host terrific Sunday Brunch. We suggest: 17th Street Grill at Timberlake Lodge Hotel and Tiovos.
- Get Outdoors – one last time before you hit the road to travel home. There are many studies that show spending time outdoors is good for your body and mind. Take a look at our Fall Leaves Tour Map. The fall foliage is so stunning and it is only around for a short period of time. Worth one more look!
Travel safe back home, and we encourage you to share all of your picture memories with us on your social media pages by including #HeadNorth in your post.